To say that the Gallipoli “celebrations” are getting out of hand is an understatement.
For example there is the option to camp at a number of show grounds… “just like the diggers did”. Yes, that is right, sleep out under the stars on eve of the 100th anniversary of the landing. Because sleeping in swag at the showgrounds, with a concert, toilets and people checking for OH&S issues is so just like it was 100 years ago.
This one sentence from the Camp Gallipoli website just shows how silly and out of hand this has all got.
“Camp Gallipoli Melbourne will be offering attendees a variety of hot meal options for dinner and breakfast that will include vegetarian options. All the meals will be served in an authentic military style just like the diggers would have had.”
OH FOR FUCK SUCK. Let’s make it a truly authentic event. To do this there will need to be a few changes.
- Tell people the location of the event, then put them 1.6km north of the event.
- Serve up reheated food that has been in a can for six months on a boat from Australia
- Cramp lots of people into a tiny wooden boat then serve up dinner whilst people are being sea sick
- If someone says oh I am a gluten free vegetarian, tell them to HTFU princess and duck all the bullets that are about to kill them
- Add the smell of grown men who haven’t showered in weeks with large doses of fear and sweat.
- Allow 50% of the people to have a smoke whilst they have their dinner
- If anyone says something about OH&S issues, shoot them
- Don’t allow any women
- Ensure that 98% of people are Anglo
- If someone wants the toilet, tell them to go where they are sitting
Now, I will go to a Dawn Service like I have for many years, but forking out $150 or so to sleep under the stars at the showground for an “authentic military style dinner” is just plain stupid and exploitative.
Anzac Day should always be about being respectful.